Thursday, May 03, 2007

Bored...

That's right.


It causes the very worst in behavior at the workplace. Runs rampant you see. What's a boy to do? Well, I'll tell you. This story starts as most good stories do. With a disclaimer... :)


DISCLAIMER!:

1. If you employ me, have employed me or are planning to employ me, everything you read here is absolutely and most strictly for the purposes of reader entertainment and are entirely fictional in nature.

1.1 The anecdotes and ridiculous rants recounted here in no way represent my work ethic nor do they necessarily represent my levels of discipline, general attitude toward work or even me as a person.

1.2 If you have been reviewing my performance and have found the results to be disappointing in any way, I can assure you that there are at least half a dozen completely legitimate reasons and justifications for my actions and level of output.

1.3 This post was in no way, written during regular work hours.

2. Every job I have ever worked for so far falls into the category of "transitional position." As such, I fully realize that I accepted these positions for employment. I ultimately have no one to blame for my boredom other than my immediate need for financial resources with which to support my life and the lives of those I love. Certainly NOT myself.




So, some say that boredom sets into the boring mind. To some extent I agree. I'd like to add to that by saying boredom sets also into the forgetful mind. I simply forget what I want with my life when I leave the workplace (unless its a practice night). Worky is far more detestable during rather than when I leave. All I can think about is something else. I busy myself with the tasks presented to me and I push through them. Just like when I start at the top of the driveway and shovel my way down, by the time I'm at the end of the drive, my shovel is so heavy and full that I can''t push any longer. I'll then start to play with icicles or begin building a snow fort or ponder the mystery of yellow snow. Distracted once again. Damn... Where was I?

No, this runs even deeper than simple A.D.D. Honestly? I'm too smart for this shit. Give "employee A" "job b" and ensure that it is such that he cannot improve efficiency by altering process. This, to me, adds up to micromanaged horse shit. Like in school, "Just copy from the text what we want and you get a good grade."

Why should I care? Just because I'm paid? Hrmm... most of the time, yes, but this can definitely overpower the incentive of regular income. Calculating cost averages. Creating return documents. Purchase orders. Emailing problems to others. Emailing solutions to others. Following up with reminder emails for both cases because they didn't bother the first, second, third or even fourth time you reminded them. Always having to follow the beurocratic chain of command decreed important and effective by all governing bodies of the corporate realm (kind of like the Military or the Catholic Church, No?). Freethinking is considered a waste of company time and money.

ITS FUCKING BORING, OKAY!?

And now the questions:

Does it pay? Unfortunately, yes.
What matters more? Getting the job done? or following process even to an end of pissing off clientele?
Why is it my responsibility to spend hours a day sending follow up emails reminding others to fix their own fucking screw ups?
Does retail offer progress to solving pollution?
Poverty?
How about consumption of energy?
Resources?


It is endless and it is nonsense. What I end up doing is some pretty retarded shit let me tell you. Things like designing and constructing dangerous office weapons. Ever hear of the "Oracle"? This one is stellar. Step 1. Take a roll of 2 inch packing tape and wrap a thick rubber band around so that the band stretches the diameter of the roll on both sides. Voilà! Step 2. Now draw a pencil or any long cylindrical object on the band closest to you as the front rests on the forward band just like a bow and arrow. Step 3. Carefully aim at any irritating co-worker and release with the fury of suppressed anger and boredom.

At times I have been known to shrink wrap my IT manager's entire set of office/desk tools i.e. phone (and receiver), keyboard, pencil can (individual pencils as well), even the USB powered mini refrigerator. Oh yeah, also all three cans of pop included in the fridge.

Answering interdepartmental telephone calls is amusing too.
*Ring ring* "Bin Laden's Bomb shop, How can I terrorize you?"
*Ring ring* "Your Mom's fantasy"
*Ring ring* "NO! GO AWAY!"

This list could really go on and on and on...

Similar is the signing of deliveries. Most couriers now have a computerized clipboard device where one signs their life away on an LCD screen. It started with names but the more I signed, the more I realized that they all know who I am and don't give a shit what the signature looks like. Eventually this lead to intentional scribbles that barely look like someone signed. Then those morphed into nothing but a wavy line. Wavy lines eventually gave way to more abstract name signatures like a series of periods or stars. The FedEx driver drew the line when I tried to quickly draw a landscape using a cross-hatching method. "its not that I give a shit, dude. Its just that I have way too many deliveries to afford standing here waiting for you to sign. Why do you do this anyway?" He questioned.
"I don't feel the need to explain my art to you, Stevie." I replied.

Mmm! How about the one where all post-it's in the manager's office are turned upside down? I liked that one.

*sigh*

So, last week I came up with a new one. This was intended to get me into false trouble. Open Text Edit on your Mac, type boss' name, copy and paste ten times, then copy and paste that entire block about twenty more times. The whole process takes about 30 seconds. Now turn up the volume and hit "Start Speaking" in the Edit menu and start working with something else away from your desk. If you're lucky, he'll storm down thinking you're just sitting there hitting a button over and over and the frustration ensues when he reaches your area to find you diligently working whilst pleasantly tolerating the constant computerized repetition of his name. *storms back upstairs* The name speaking went on for about twenty minutes.

I have been sick for three weeks. I have called in a least one of those weeks. I ran out of available sick days in February. They have been docking my check to compensate. Friends suggest it may be stress from work. Others think I don't know how to take care of myself. Needless to say, it is time to leave. The job search has begun and as painful as it is to job search, I think it more painful to try to stay here and continue to attempt reasonable communication with the manager and still even more painful to try to continue pretending that this job is good for me, important to me or stimulates me enough to appreciate it in any way.

*gives finger*

HH

3 Comments:

At 5/04/2007 10:29 AM, Blogger Natalia coughed up...

You know, I've given this a lot of thought. When I was working in insurance and the work was quite routine and mind-numbing, I constantly felt the need to do something other than work. Also, it was a very restrictive environment with micromanaging supervisors and a strict 9-5 schedule where people where counting the minutes you were on lunch to see if you went over the limit. I was never at my best there. I couldn't reach my potential. And I realize that it wasn't the place for me or the work for me anyway and that I was doing it for the money. But even when doing it for the money I kinda like to give my best. But I couldn't because I was, more than anything, so pissed at them that we always wanted to find ways to cut corners.

Now, however, I have the freedom to come and go. No one checks my schedule. I work independently. I hardly see my boss. I actually like my boss. My boss wants me to be happy. I can work from home. I can be creative. I can take a 2-hours lunch. And you know what? I am here as much as I can. Cause I don't have to. I know it doesn't seem intuitive. It seems, actually quite counterintuitive. But since I love what I do and no one is standing over my shoulder watching, I feel like I can actually get stuff done in record time and then move on to other things and just keep going. I have become more productive and happier. I wish more companies realized that by being so strict and suffocating, they are only creating unhappy employees who will screw the company at the first chance they get.

Wow.., can I ever rant? I am gonna go now cause I totally became the blob and ate up your comment section.

xoxox

-N

 
At 5/07/2007 12:43 PM, Blogger Hubris coughed up...

Nat- I don't even know how to rectify the situation other than to leave. Even that which is ultimately my problem lately angers me and I resent him/them for every word they speak.

No peace. Its quite a problem considering how easy it is to find a job and how quickly this one seems to be coming to a close.

 
At 5/08/2007 1:36 PM, Blogger Lance coughed up...

Feeling trapped sucks. If you can no longer perform the job that this company is paying you to perform, I say get out fast. Hopefully you can get a decent recommendation from one of your superiors on the way out.

I don't like the job that I'm doing right now either. It leaves a lot to be desired. But I've got to do something for money.

Good luck my friend. I hope that you find something that really works for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home