Thursday, June 28, 2007

Jam Nights

The jam nights at my local watering hole is becoming a great wad of fun for all things rock singer. The first time was about a month ago. It was sheer bliss. I picked three songs they knew and poof. I was singing for a live band before a very small audience. Mad props ensue from the band, the bar employees and other patrons. *nut*

So I go back last week. MD and her mum joined me for this excursion and I was totally buzzing and vibrating from the excitement. I got there at 9:30 sharp, the usual start time. I picked a seat close to the front. I spoke to the band about what they could play that night and let them clearly know that I was pumped and looking forward to doing this again. They spend the first hour, as they normally do, playing their own set. Their first break begins and I'm even more buzzy. Soon :D

Second set begins and they call up some of the fantastic musicians and singers from their friend's birthday party happening on one side of the bar. Damn, this one chick had a set of pipes perfect for a stunning Janis Joplin tune. After an hour, the second set ends and the band takes another break. bzzzzzz. Very soon :D

It was damn near the middle of the third set that I began to grow impatient. After all, MD & her mum are now tired enough to want to go home. They considered doing so and catching up with me there but they stayed. By then I was quite pissed because they have now brought every fucking person in the bar to arrive after me on stage to jam. I had been waiting for three and a half hours right in front of them for a turn at the mic. Nothing. Clearly, getting there first and immediately talking to the band is not enough to get them to realize that I was even there. I was furious. Right about the time I see the drummer disassembling his kit, I take it upon myself to go up there and ask the bassist, "Next week I guess!?" He looked surprised and replied, "Oh shit!! We didn't get you up here!?" Me, "No. No you didn't"
He then spewed forth with apologies and how embarrassings and surely next week and we shook hands and said goodnight. I was still very crushed and pissed but I gave them the benefit of doubt and slept it off. MD was so kind and patient to me. Consolling and supportive.

Then, just last Wednesday, I return to the jam night determined to get my ass up there to be seen and heard. I still encountered a hefty wait time but it was all better for sure. I sang Rooster by Alice in Chains and that went okay for the most part. The thing that really got me off was finding out that they knew Killing in the Name by Rage Against the Machine. They played it very well and for that, I fucking nailed it. Not a beat missed. Weird too because I had not performed that song since I was 16 years old standing in as singer for Sonus Ex Machina's band in his parents garage on his birthday. For all this, the manager of the bar gives me a hug and cheers! Many patrons of that bar as well as the band were loudly giving their approval and the waitress I had that night said, "That was fucking awesome! You rocked out with your cock out!" and then proceeded to buy us each a shot for us to slam together.

It seems I do have what it takes. I cannot tell you how incredible it feels to do this. I'm really looking forward to finding a band.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 7/03/2007 10:06 PM, Blogger Natalia coughed up...

Oh yaay "snoopydance of redemptionnes and cock outness*

Woohoo for you. Giving people the benefit of the doubt is good. One never knows what's at work.

I'm proud of you. Can't wait to hear you live!

-N

 
At 7/05/2007 9:43 AM, Blogger Hubris coughed up...

oh!! mee too. Clearly you must come to Toronto...

 
At 7/06/2007 12:29 PM, Blogger Natalia coughed up...

Clearly I must.

-N

 

Post a Comment

<< Home