Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The First Tryout

It was really lucky that I got his message and showed up early. By the time I would have arrived after a full day of work, his girlfriend had come home with a nauseous tummy and needed quiet. Fortunately, we had finished by then. I felt pretty confident that I delivered comfortably and acted myself. We basically chit chatted about music and about what they're looking for. He said that I sounded like Maynard on Parabola and like Jack White on Seven Nation Army and they sounded really good. Before playing me a few of his tracks, he said he wanted me to sing for him in the way that I sound like. Without influence. I'm pretty sure I pulled that off :D He said that I am very good and recognizes that despite no formal training, I can stay in key without a problem. He further added that he has no problem being blunt and if he didn't think I might fit, he'd have ended the visit much sooner. I'm 1 of 10 who contacted them and the first of 5 that they wish to see. Either way, he'll let me know wether I am invited back for a practice.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 6/26/2007 12:29 PM, Blogger Natalia coughed up...

Oh no..I missed the wishing part. But I can now cross my fingers that you get invited back. Yaay you.

-N

 
At 6/26/2007 12:33 PM, Blogger Hubris coughed up...

dude, its wonderful because even if the answer is a resounding no, I had a great time trying out for him. I'm pretty confident that I'll get to try out with them on a higher level pretty soon though.

 
At 6/26/2007 5:02 PM, Blogger Sonus Ex Machina coughed up...

Right on, man! As I said before:

"Go Squirrel, Go!"

Here's wishing you the best of luck!

 
At 6/26/2007 9:38 PM, Blogger sassinak coughed up...

dude that's awesome. even if he says no it's real props nonetheless.

new stripes is really good have you heard any of it?

 
At 6/27/2007 6:15 AM, Blogger Hubris coughed up...

sonus- EEEEEEE!!!!!

sass- HI!! Thanks, yo. I'm very happy with the way it all went down wether we connect again or not :D

no, I haven't... Time to go music shopping again?

 
At 6/27/2007 9:48 AM, Blogger Lance coughed up...

Nice Hubris. Sometimes life tosses us a bone right when things seem bleekest. Only a week ago you were feeling pretty frustrated and now you ooz with confidence.

Whether or not you get this gig, remember the feeling. Knowing that you can do it. Having someone outside of your close circle of friends validate that they also feel you can make it. The experience of having a really good try out. Keep all of that. Replay it in your head many times. Even go so far as to remember every detail of the event. Then tweek the memory. Make the colors birghter, the sound clearer. Make it the perfect memory. The brain knows no difference between reality and memory. Thats why when you think of times when you were frightened your stomach gets tight, when you think of biting down on a lemon, your mouth waters and so on. The more you embrass these good memories the more confident you will feel. Remember neuro networks that fire together, wire together. You are creating a longterm relationship between your perception of the world, and yourself with a physical neural network. Make it a positive one.

Good work.

 
At 6/27/2007 10:08 AM, Blogger Hubris coughed up...

LSD- Though I feel I have become far busier in my life as of late, I feel far better about what I am busying myself with. I've played MAYBE a couple hours of video games in the last few weeks. Replaced it with small pieces and steps to a greater puzzle. It feels like a risk but a big difference between now and a couple years ago, is that I don't care right now if I fail. More than anything I want to be old and be able to say either that I did it, or I gave it a hell of a shot. I am through with being the guy that simply wishes for a more beautiful or more easy or more fulfilled life. I have a lot of work to do. I have found this within my ability because of people like MD, you, Sonus, Sass, Natalia and Othercat.

HH

 

Post a Comment

<< Home