Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Beautiful Gifts

I am one of the very few people that I know who has a father who is not a deadbeat, abusive, estranged, a workoholic, an alcoholic, cold, uncaring or indifferent. I have great love and respect for him and his methods used to raise me into the man that I am today. His name is David. He is kind, affectionate, patient, gentle, logical and loving. Working 2 full time jobs as I grew up, he still made time to play inside and outside with me. He made it to many of my sports events. He continues to encourage my artistic talents and choices. While he is not a perfect man, he is very much the father that I hope to be someday.

I do not have any biological children of my own and it is rather unlikely that I will. What I do have is Mightydoll and her children. They have grown to be my immediate family and I love them as such. Their real father is a good father to both B and MC and I am in no way a replacement of him. Simply an addition of the parental structure attached to MD and they look up to me in that way.

B, her son, is now 8 years old and is a very bright and wildly creative boy. His capacity to take in information and retain it is quite fascinating to watch. He's a sponge for all that captures his interest. I particularly love is morbid sense of humor. He likes contorting his G.I. Ken into a severely awkward pose turning it into his 'Zombie Ken'. Another thing I find very funny is how several times per week I can hear him wandering through the house humming the Imperial March from Star Wars. His drawings are imaginative and highly detailed. Especially if the subject is either a superhero or a supervillan. I look forward to seeing what he does in the future with these attributes. He takes a long time to warm up to people in his life but he has recently come to trust me enough to be a little affectionate. Its very warming.

MC, her daughter, just turned 6 and a bit to Mightydoll's concerned amusement, is in love with all things pink, pretty and princess. Mightydoll had been the tomboy growing up and she finds it strange how with parents that were outcasts and punks, her daughter is the princess loving popular kid in her class. She is intensely sweet and even cuter. She knows it. Like her brother she too is an incredibly fast learner and lover of crafts. She is much more affectionate than her brother. She loves family snuggles and when we cross the street together, she takes my hand. When there isn't much to say, I sometimes shoot a smile her way and it is always returned. Occasionally, she will request that I read her a bedtime story as opposed to her mother. Like her brother, it is very warming.

This to me represents a beginning of an opportunity to be to Mightydoll's children as my father was for me. A caring loving and patient man. I think I need the most work on patience (thanks, Mom). The reason this for this post is that something happened for the first time ever to me this morning. I was given a Father's Day card from B and MC. *cue melting into pool of Nick butter* For the first time, my father and I have this in common. There is nothing today that could have made me happier.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6/19/2007 2:57 PM, Blogger Lance coughed up...

Yeah, I feel you on this post. Nate and Rachael have been really great. They are keen to call me dad (which takes some getting used to, but is a big honor). The kids made me my very first fathers day card last weekend. It's strange because I'm headed toward being a full fledged father on top of being a step father. There is already this little life form with my DNA imprint growing. Not that Nate and Rachael are less important, or there card didn't mean quite as much, its just that looking at Harmony's belly last sunday sort of made my heart jump a bit. It was quite a day.

 
At 6/19/2007 4:07 PM, Blogger Natalia coughed up...

Awwww so cool. I too have a good dad. Those are not easy to come by, are they? I am glad you had a good role model of how to be a good male influence in the lives of your significant other's children. One can't ever have too many loving adults. I am happy for the pool of nick butter :)

-N

 
At 6/19/2007 11:48 PM, Blogger Tom Cavnar coughed up...

Dude, that's awesome.

I never thought I'd say it, but in the past few years, I've actually been wishing for a family of my own...

And dammit, I'm jealous.

Alas, for now I'll have to settle for being a cat-parent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home