Monday, October 01, 2007

This week's goals:

1. Love the girl

2. Have current website contract ready for testing by Tuesday morning

3. Practice Deftones set-list daily for this Sunday's try out for Deftones tribute band

4. Write witty lyrics for this Saturday's try out for metal band

5. Clean clothes

6. Love the girl

7. Finish flyer/business card contract

8. Love the girl again


My life hasn't slowed at all. Not that I thought it would with the reorganization of career and hobbies but, I am a firm believer that the whole world is in waay too big of a hurry. That is one thing I wish I didn't have to be a part of. Yet greater is the desire to meet my goals head on. To do something great or at least memorable. So I try to release my pent up frustration and anxiety about it when I get behind the mic. It works very well if even as a mere pressure release. So singing more is clearly part therapy for me but I think it also allows me to harness the energy required to make such a thing believable to an audience. Summoning...

And yeah, I know that doing work with a cover band isn't exactly memorable. One friend said to me, "No! A cover band!?" Well, as much as I do see her point, "original" is a concept that will hold more importance to me once I have more experience. Some kind of proof that I can backup my claim to being able to howl like I mean it. A familiarity with the stage. Even being recorded.

These are my driving force this week. Especially the love the girl part. I seem to need a lot of one on one time with her lately. I really appreciate that she has been patient with me and I'm looking forward to giving her a big snuggle when I get home.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10/02/2007 10:17 AM, Blogger Lance coughed up...

One of my current favorite bands ever is a cover band. The Detroit Cobra's kick ass and I don't care if they only do other band's songs.

I think your right, a cover band is a good experience for you. Learn from it. Have fun. I think the doing something memorable thing is overrated. Do something you love and have doing it. Thats where its at. Who's memories other than your own will you enjoy anyway?

 
At 10/03/2007 9:33 AM, Blogger Hubris coughed up...

Indeed :)

At one of the jams after I get off stage, this guy comes up to me all sheepish and apparently self conscious and says, "Hey-umm I dunno if you'd want to but my friends and I jam alice in chains tunes sometimes and I thought you sounded really good. Would you sing for us sometime? Don't know if you'd want to and its okay to say no if you don't but just... y'know for fun sometime?"

Certainly I would! This guy's demeanor reminded me of a younger, previous version of myself. Socially awkward and a little weird but genuine.

The Deftones guy (and deftones is still one of my favorite metal bands) seems cool too though I haven't met him yet. Should be this Sunday for a jam. I practiced the set list in my makeshift studio (read: walk-in closet) and quickly found that I can sing these songs pretty good but when it comes to a 'Chino' style of screaming, I'm not nearly raspy and cigaretted enough. My scream is much more powerful and a little deeper. So we'll see what happens. I'm excited anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home