Saturday, October 20, 2007

Last night's audition

All in all it was a shitty night. For starters I'm sick as shit. The kind where I feel like my sinuses contain hydrochloric acid. Then I had to dodge off of the mass transit system and get a cab because the TTC couldn't manage to do in an hour with a motorized vehicle a distance that I could've done in 20 minutes on my bike... Which I'd have been more than happy to do if I weren't sick. *gives finger*
And the audition? Not as bad. Just that the guitarist never showed because he has one of those kind of jobs. So instead his counterparts and I conversed for a couple hours about our influences, experience and inspiration. This would have been frustrating if the guys didn't cover my cab fare out of the kindness of their hearts. The cab's credit machine was fuct up royal but that's a whole other ranty post.
We played H. and it went well. On the plus side my singing was yet again appreciated by all. The part I like about this is that I have now had more strangers than friends comment on my voice in a positive manner. It tells me that it is a matter of time before one of these bands says, "Yeah, dude. He's the one." Not that I am nonchalant and certain about it, just that I realize that if I keep pressing in this manner, something positive will soon click.
So, that now makes two bands that I have a possibility of joining - ABO still being the other. The one I visited last night has tastes more similar to my own. Plus, they're educated and in my age group. That is hard to come by as a 29 year-old trying to break into the scene. At first they didn't believe my age. I blushed a bit and informed them that my youthful appearance is one of the reasons I think I still have time to sing rock music. With that, I think they want me on board. A second meeting has been scheduled for Saturday next.

Remember ABO? Stellar timing and heavy noise? Yeah, I barely do either. I got frustrated with waiting for a call back for the second audition they said they wanted. So I followed up:

ABO,

I've sampled a lot of bands out there since I started looking for a decent band to sing for. Of those many, ABO has their shit together the most. Stellar timing and good recordings with solid material. You guys are still my favorite so far and I still remember the high I got from belting it out at your practice... I'd love to try out again if your still searching. But if I don't fit what you're trying to fill, please tell me.

Hubris


Please tell me. I really can take the blunt message if we don't gel. I can take the rejection or whatever criticism comes my way. Luckily, that was not the message I received.

Dude,

We have been all going thru some personal shit these last few weeks...

The band and auditions have been on a temporary hiatus.

The minute we get going and I get the demo with existing lyrics on the go on another myspace (for 2 nd auditions) I will let you know and we will schedule something.

I haven't forgotten, but the band has been on a bit of a break.


That's a relief because I'm certain these guys are going to tour in their future. I hope I get to be a part of it.

3 Comments:

At 10/22/2007 2:35 PM, Blogger Lance coughed up...

Why are rock band all so flighty? Its nothing but drama it seems. Dudes not showing up to play guitar, cats not calling back because of personal shit.

I think a local rock band could go a long way by just simply not being sketchy. I can see the reviews now.

The band was right on time. Then they gave us our money's worth. Then said thank you. I expect that they will be on time for their next show as well.

Seriously though, I really admire the way you are going about this. Its like you've managed to keep all of the really great positive attributes that I've always liked about you, and dropped the insecurities in favor of tenacity.

Stellar rock n' role dream effort my friend.

 
At 10/22/2007 4:05 PM, Blogger The Mighty Doll coughed up...

Heh, LSD, I've been kinda bantering about the same sort of thing with Hubris about flighty rock bands.

In my experience, 85% of guys who wanna be rock stars don't actually wanna do the work. Regardless of how dedicated they say they are.

Hubris really is finally finding himself. It's a wonderful process to watch day to day. :)

 
At 10/23/2007 10:13 AM, Blogger Hubris coughed up...

lsd- yeah, man. Its hard to get 4 people together for this. Its funny sometimes too. When I walk the halls at the rehearsal warehouse, I hear bands talking among themselves. More gossip than a hair salon. These people are calling themselves pro musicians...

Thank you for that, Lance. That is truly a meaningful comment to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home