Saturday, November 18, 2006

The American in Me

Because there really is some kicking around in there.
I find it weird how one can change so much from where they started and yet still be attracted by those parts of early life. Fighter jets for example. I used to be totally enthralled with everything about them when I was a child. I wanted to fly them. Use them like a roller coaster. Flying around the world to support the noble decisions of the United States Government. Quite a lot is different now that I am conscious of the reality of war - or worse, a career in operating a machine of war.

For me, firearms are no different than those jets. They look neat. I find them fun to use for the practice of sharpshooting. But they are very powerful. Not like the varying power that spews forth from the different types of weapons, but rather the kind of power something retains on its own - without human contact. Like fire. Or the oceans. A power that must be inherently respected. I do not believe in aiming such power at people. I know many people feel otherwise and thereby decreasing my life expectancy for such situations but honestly, I just might rather die than face a time when I steal the life from another human - bad or good. I see no justification. Only extermination.

Hunting for food is okay with me. For the record. Michigan's dept. of natural resources is fairly reasonable about animal hunting and population control.

Anyway... Shooting. Tons of Americans love to shoot things. Its a hobby. Some of the more decent folks out there prefer inanimate objects as there target. Like me :) And like my oldest niece. She's only 17 years old but good christ, can she work a 12 gauge. Check this shit out (said the proud uncle)



Don't ask about the Star of David around her neck. It is strictly ornamental. Dangerous looking no? I'd cast her in an action movie for sure.

6 Comments:

At 11/19/2006 11:47 PM, Blogger Tom Cavnar coughed up...

Wow. The tiny little nieces I met back in the late 90s are almost all grown up. How time flies.

I'm not altogether surprised of course, knowing her dad, that she's not too shabby with the firearms.

 
At 11/20/2006 1:34 PM, Blogger Lance coughed up...

Hunting Season on the Great Michigan white tailed deer opened last Wednesday. Hordes of men women and children decended upon the wooded swamps and forests. School was cancelled. Orange camo is enjoying its yearly sytlistic revival, and everywhere men look at me in amusment and utter disbelief when I answer their question.
"Did you get your deer yet?"
"No, I don't hunt."
Awkward silence....

I won a skeet shoot competition a couple of summers ago. It really pissed off several of the guys there that belong to a shooting club. They had to load the gun for me so I could out shoot them. I decided then that its not the violent nature, nor the unfair advange it creates that bothers me about the gun. Its the noise. They are just way to loud.

 
At 11/20/2006 6:34 PM, Blogger Hubris coughed up...

py- niece. thats all I have to say.

sonus- dude, I know!

lsd- Why, yer just not a man if you don't hunt there mister...

I don't really miss that about MI or being out in the country... I don't miss hunting either.

I do like shooting though.

 
At 11/21/2006 10:21 AM, Blogger Handsome Jack coughed up...

The girl sure knows how to shoot. My dad taught me when I was a kid. Knocked me right out of my shoes the first time I fired a shotgun. We practiced on targets, tossing bottles in the air, skeets too, handguns - we had six shooter and would practice quick draw and shooting from the hip - like in the westerns. I'd probably die in the wilderness though. Can't kill anything.

 
At 11/27/2006 2:56 AM, Blogger sassinak coughed up...

i'm a good enough shot, in fact i'm looking into getting into handguns

don't want to carry one
don't want to hit anything flesh
just want to shoot at a target cause it's fun

 
At 11/27/2006 5:10 PM, Blogger othercat coughed up...

Like LSD, I enjoy target and skeet shooting but I don't hunt. I'd rather not be responsible for taking another creature's life directly. I even like the loud explosions provided the hearing protection is adequate.

The first time I handled a shotgun, my scoutmaster was surprised because I didn't land on my arse. I had heard about the kick that a 12 gauge has, and I braced myself properly. I was alright, but the dead tree didn't fare so well after I blasted it a few times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home