Sunday, October 01, 2006

9/23/6 was not postponed due to terrorism.

Unlike 9/11/1 which was the last time I went to see Tool. Back then the local government held it up for two days. Something about 14,000 people being in one room made them nervous as fuck. But wow. If I could only express the sheer magic of that show 5 years ago. Nothing has come close since. Not even Tool. Don't get me wrong though, Tool is 1, still one of my favorites and 2, still a fabulous show to see. Its just that the tour that followed their 'Lateralus' album rendered the most stunning audio and visual experience I've ever had. This comes from a kid who's first concert ever was Pink Floyd's last tour together. Are you starting to see my expectations for the shows I go see? I knew damn well that seeing Tool this time around wouldn't top five years ago. What made this show great for me this time was being able to bring my sister, niece, Othercat and Sass along for the fun. OC was due for a good heavy show. That wonderful man has been the sole bringer of decent jazz into my life. Sass had to be brought for mostly the same reasons (read: we had to permeate her mind with the good word of Toolism). Same with my niece. ...And this was the second show that my sister and I got to see together and she was equally geeked as I. There was much shouting.

Ya know, I've heard it said that Tool fans are almost as annoying as Grateful Dead fans. *sigh* that's fair, I guess.

So before the show, I was online checking out reviews and set lists from previous shows in this tour and was really disappointed to find very little of what I wanted to hear. I didn't see any of the long prog songs at all. So below is the list from the show we saw. Happy faces mark the songs I was surprised to hear after all :D

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty-six and 2
Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)/Rosetta Stoned :D:D:D
Jambi
Schism
Wings for Marie (Pt. 1) :D:D:D:D
10,000 Days (wings Pt. 2) :D:D:D:D:D holy fuck dude. what a ride.
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

All were fun. But those were special and I was floored.
Ooh! and the walls and floors of the stage was all light or screen...

So the answer to your question, LSD, is yes. They still have it.

8 Comments:

At 10/01/2006 11:21 PM, Blogger sassinak coughed up...

yeah i hadn't been to a proper rock concert in a while... i even acted like a teenager and showed off my head banging skills.

still know how to do that... just my poor neck gets all cranky

 
At 10/01/2006 11:48 PM, Blogger Hubris coughed up...

oh man, my neck was sore for two days after the show!

 
At 10/01/2006 11:52 PM, Blogger othercat coughed up...

I've never been much of a metal fan as you have noticed, but I always have my ears open for something new. Tool doesn't play like any other band, and they've got a unique touch compared to a lot of metal players. Thanx for organizing this one, because it's not something I would ordinarily go for.

 
At 10/02/2006 10:05 AM, Blogger Natalia coughed up...

Tool rocks...have not seen them live... but I totally would. Mr. Hagfish and I are supposed to go see The Undertones while I am in Dublin. Heard of them?

:)

-N

 
At 10/02/2006 6:26 PM, Blogger Lance coughed up...

It was something of a retorical question. I think that Tool will be able to get up on stage and lay down some heavy ass shit that will make my face melt with radioactive Rock'n sweetness twenty years from now when they are all on heart meds and suffering from arthritis. My only problem with Tool is this. They had nowhere left to go but down. They had their finger on the angry pulse of the American youth for such a long time. With base lines and drum beats so extreme that you'd go home wanting to slam a Mountain Dew and then kick your mom in the crotch. With lyrics so pretentious and hateful that not even the Bohemian, cigarette smoking, I'm reading Kant mother fucker, youths had to take notice and pay their dues. Their sound was a constant maturation of both musical virtuocity and production genious all the way up to Lateralus. But now... Now I'm afraid its a finished product. And though it is a very very good finished product, it is none the less been defined and thus is beginning to fade.

Not the fault of Tool, its just the way things work.

 
At 10/02/2006 6:53 PM, Blogger Hubris coughed up...

other- I'm glad you came. The rain wasn't even that bad either eh?

nat- nope *checks net* not bad. I'd have to rake them over my head for further critique but its a good start :) Have fun!!

lsd- Prior to the release of 10,000 days, I was hopeful that they had just one more step up. I may have known that it was a vain hope but one always hopes to get just a little more out of a favorite. By that rationale Radiohead could've stopped after Amnesiac. Yet the release of Hail to the Thief has proved to be a small step higher. Matter of opinion maybe but I think this is so.

Your theory is confirmed though. They have matured and finished their art. Now they pretty much quit or ride out the phenom until they retire like Pink Floyd. I will likely choose to keep an ear open for the likes of Tool because even a shitty day for that level of musical talent far exceeds my expectations for more mainstreamed acts.

 
At 10/03/2006 1:20 AM, Blogger sassinak coughed up...

well, i started listening to ministry when they were a hip hop band and now? not so much with the hip hop. for most of that time i liked the direction they went (and then five years ago i went folk). bands change. tool can mutate if they choose or rest on their laurels.

or they will fade and then reappear only to repeat the cycle endlessly until they retire...

 
At 10/03/2006 8:18 AM, Blogger Hubris coughed up...

hard to say what will happen. The band has maintained a pretty solid shroud of mystique thus far. They might just vanish...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home